Marketing & Events Coordinator
The Ithaca Farmers Market is looking for a forward-thinking and creative coordinator to lead our marketing and event booking efforts. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a passionate team of local entrepreneurs dedicated to building the local economy, while assisting a premier Ithaca institution grow. The Marketing and Events Coordinator will have the opportunity to lead an exciting variety of marketing, digital media, PR and communications projects, and to expand our event rental opportunities. They will also have the opportunity to connect with the market community by assisting the Manager in overseeing day to day market operations.
Reports to: Market Manager
Time Commitment & Salary Range: 30 hours a week year round; $26,000 - $29,000 plus benefits.
- Lead the marketing committee and other relevant vendors in creating an annual marketing plan that assists in guiding the direction of the markets communications and reach.
- Coordinate the marketing committee’s overall workflow, while creating avenues that allow market vendors to have input into the overall marketing plan.
- Understand voice of the brand and create compelling content that aligns with the core values and vision of the group.
- Manage and generate conversations across various social media platforms to engage our followers and expand our reach.
- Develop metrics to assist the market in measuring the success of the marketing plan.
- Be up to date on relevant holidays/community events and deploy marketing blasts around key dates.
- Create Facebook, Instagram and other social media ads to promote the market and other relevant initiatives.
- Keep current on latest social media and marketing trends, and utilize new information to increase our traffic and reach.
- Maintain a working knowledge of principles of SEO including keyword research and make recommendations on how best to optimize the brand.
- Monitor guest reviews across Yelp, Google, Tripadvisor (and other platforms) in order to always know what guests are saying about the market.
- Work with graphic designer to develop ads for print, web and other platforms.
- Manage print ads with local newspapers, magazines, flyers and more.
Market Day Management (20%)
- Promote the Ithaca Farmers Market pavilion as a premier location to hold weddings, formals, and other events in the Tompkins County region.
- Timely response and management of all event inquiries.
- Guide clients from inquiry to booking.
- Communicate with clients via telephone, email, and face-to-face interactions.
- Identify creative ways for event clients to connect with market vendors (wedding favors, photographers, etc).
- On day of event, be the liaison between caterers, clients, and market vendors, ensuring a smooth transition from market day to event rental.
- Conduct site inspections with potential clients in order to showcase the space available.
- Work with bookkeeper to manage event billing and administration.
- Ensure events are compliant with local permits, ordinances and insurance that may be required.
- Staff Thursday night market (June through September) and every other Sunday market (May through November).
- Hold lotteries to place vendors in specific stalls.
- Collect and tally selling fees, make deposits.
- Have an intimate understanding of market rules in order to ensure vendors are within compliance of market rules and guidelines on market day.
- Interact with the public, as well as Farmers Market vendors.
- Maintain orderly and sanitary facilities.
- If necessary, coordinate with emergency personnel on market days and perform minor first aid when appropriate and necessary.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as a Marketing or Events Coordinator, or similar experience
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Exhibited interest in local economies, food systems, farmers markets, and sustainable food and fiber production
- Enjoys high energy and fast-paced environment
- Great positive can-do attitude and openness to feedback
- Ability to utilize analytics to build successful marketing campaigns
- Ability to learn new systems rapidly
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram a must
- Proficiency in Adobe suite, WordPress, Hootsuite and/or MailChimp a plus
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required, for markets, meetings, and events
If interested, please submit a resume, cover letter, 3 references and either a writing and/or graphic design sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
by Monday, March 5th.
(Ithaca Farmers Market members and immediate family not eligible to apply.)