Submitted by Jackie Merwin, Black Diamond Farm, Trumansburg, NY
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (optional)
- Marinade for meat: rice vinegar and soy sauce
- ½ head small cabbage, shredded
- 3 medium sized tart apples, peeled (optional), cored, 1/8’d and sliced
- 8-10 large cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- Olive or canola oil
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 heaping Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sesame oil, depending on your tolerance for hot
- Cut chicken into small strips, put in closed container with marinade, shake it up, then saute the chicken – not in the wok. Set aside
- Put cornstarch in a pouring container add a little of the water, and mix to a paste; add rest of water, soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a wok or big skillet, heat olive oil to very hot, throw in garlic and stir fry until starting to brown; add cabbage; stir fry about 5v minutes, then apples; continue stirfrying until tender but still crisp. Sprinkle in sesame seeds; Add the chicken. Re-stir the cornstartch mixture; add to the wok, and continue stir frying until the sauce thickens and glazes over everything. Don’t stop stirring! Serve over rice, add soy sauce at table if desired.