This soothing soup contains a rainbow of fresh produce!
This is a nicely spiced, yet soothing, fall soup, made with a plethora of fresh market produce! Thanks to our intern, Emma Anderson, for this recipe, and for more to come in the fall semester!
Ginger Golden Beet and Rainbow Carrot Ginger Soup
• 1lb Rainbow Carrots
• 1lb Golden Beets
• 1 inch Ginger Root
• 1 Medium Onion
• 3 Garlic Cloves
• 1⁄2 Orange
• 2 tablespoons Oil (Olive or Coconut)
• 4 cups of Broth (chicken or vegetable)
• 1 Bay Leaf
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Coconut Milk (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Peel and chop the beets and carrots. Save the beet greens for later.
3. Smash the garlic cloves to release their oils.
4. Put the beets, carrots and garlic into a baking dish.
5. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and toss everything together.
6. Put the baking dish in the oven and roast the vegetables for 20 minutes.
Remember to mix the vegetables at least once.
7. While the vegetables are roasting, heat one tablespoon of oil in a stockpot.
Dice the onion and sauté it until it is translucent, about 5 minutes.
8. Peel and grate (or chop very finely) the ginger and add it to the onion. Sauté for 3 minutes on medium low.
9. Add the broth, the roasted vegetables and bay leaf to the stockpot.
10. Zest and juice 1⁄2 of an orange and add it to the soup.
11. Bring the soup to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes.
12. While waiting, clean the beet greens.
13. Once the soup is done simmering, the vegetables should be tender. Remove
the bay leaf and either blend the soup in a blender or blend with a hand
mixer until the soup is creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
14. Saute the greens and use them either as a side dish or put them in the soup.
15. Serve the soup plain or with a little cream or coconut milk.
A special thank you to Humble Hill Farms for the delicious rainbow carrots! Also,
thank you to Six Circles Farm for the wonderful golden beets!